Wednesday 6 March 2013

Finally - in the greenhouse!

I managed to get the greenhouse scrubbed out and sorted at the weekend.  It was so nice to be in my little hidey hole again, where it was actually pretty warm away from the 'brisk' wind.  In there at the minute I've got nine rhubarb plants that I started from seed last year, some trailing begonia corms I planted that I had free from Parkers plants and well...not much else, lol.  I'm really proud of the rhubarb - considering that one small plant can cost upwards of £4, nine plants for the 50p it cost me for the seed is fantastic!

Two weekends ago I cleared out a raised bed and planted lots of onions (Sturon) and garlic (Thermidrome).  We use lots of both so it made sense to dedicate a whole bed to them.  The other bed tends to get wetter and retain more water so I'm using that a little later in the year.

We also planted two red rose hedges.  Last year, we didn't know if we might lose the house because of job issues (hubby hadn't got one), and during that time I became almost fixated on having a red rose hedge along the side of the garden with a white bench in front of it.  So - for Valentine's Day, hubby got me not just a dozen red roses, but two dozen red rose bushes!  They're planted now and hopefully will get established well.

That's what I call a Valentine's present :-)

His present was what he always asks for - a three course meal, which Lucy actually cooked and served up this year so it was a treat for both of us.  I made him a huge heart shaped cake, chocolate brownie mix, covered in chocolate ganache and topped with fresh strawberries.

Happy husband :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment